Authentic Compassion

Monday, January 19, 2009

Simplifying - why is it complicated?

This morning's devotional from David Jeremiah was a great reminder of a goal I have - to simplify my life - getting more stuff does not make life simpler.
You cannot serve both God and Money.Matthew 6:24 (NIV)
A Quaker watched as his new, wealthy neighbor unpacked truckloads of furniture, clothing, and decorative items. He then went to greet the man and said to him, “Neighbor, if thee hath need of anything, please come to see me and I will tell thee how to get along without it.”
I am going to print this off and post it on my prayer board. It will help when I get internet offers of things to make my life better, faster, slimmer, healthier, smell minty fresh or give me lower electric bills and the ability to impress people everywhere.
Yeah right - money is a tool not a master. I tend to obscure that thought when a new shiny sparkly framus dingus shows its costly head around Buhlaland. Just walk on by - my new shopping theme song?

5 comments:

Grammyof13 said...

This is neat. I need to post the same thing as a reminder. I too need to simplify.

Blessings,

Lanny said...

Amen!

You ain't a kidding, it is hard, but necessary, cuz the "stuff" just gets in the way.

KathyB. said...

Right on David Jeremiah and LindaSue! I was thinking along these lines already as Hubby and I were trying to figure out where to store a lot of STUFF! So, Kathy, just walk on by......thanks LindaSue.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I totally agree with your words! Wonderful post. blessings, Kathleen

Liz Harrell said...

Thanks for reminding me. We've been trying to simplify too, NOT easy. I may post about this too.