Authentic Compassion

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Brrrr

Job 37 1-13(The Message paraphrase) "Whenever this happens, my heart stops— I'm stunned, I can't catch my breath.Listen to it! Listen to his thunder, the rolling, rumbling thunder of his voice.He lets loose his lightnings from horizon to horizon, lighting up the earth from pole to pole.In their wake, the thunder echoes his voice, powerful and majestic.He lets out all the stops, he holds nothing back. No one can mistake that voice—His word thundering so wondrously, his mighty acts staggering our understanding.He orders the snow, 'Blanket the earth!' and the rain, 'Soak the whole countryside!'No one can escape the weather—it's there. And no one can escape from God.Wild animals take shelter, crawling into their dens,When blizzards roar out of the north and freezing rain crusts the land.It's God's breath that forms the ice, it's God's breath that turns lakes and rivers solid.And yes, it's God who fills clouds with rainwater and hurls lightning from them every which way.He puts them through their paces—first this way, then that— commands them to do what he says all over the world.Whether for discipline or grace or extravagant love, he makes sure they make their mark."



The size of a Texas/Oklahoma/Missouri/Arkanasa ice storm serves to remind us who is in charge. I'm not complaining Lord - just reminding you why I live in Texas. I live in Texas because it isn't THIS temperature very often! Thank you very much for listening.






Three fifteen, afternoon of January 27,2009 through my kitchen window here on Buhlaland. Also have a 15 mph wind to intensify the bone chillingness last week in January. Have to find beauty in the sheer frozen-ness of it all -ice pellets on the bright red leaves of poinsettia (a ghost of Christmas past). Even dandelion plants have a crystalline beauty in this weather. The longer green grasses next to our propane tank look like they've been sprayed with Swarovski juice.


It is icy cold today here on Buhlaland, it won't stay this way for long and if I can avoid falling on my hiney - I am enjoying the beauty through my camera lens and our windows.

6 comments:

sharilyn said...

oh, you simply MUST get out there with that macro lens and go photo crazy!!! : ) i love seeing ice on things... but, oh, it can be cold! i still remember the ice storm of '76 (i was a kid in MI then)--we lost all power for several days, hot lines were down and snapping in the streets, the yard and all walking surfaces were sheets of glass, huge tree branches were breaking off like twigs from the weight of the ice... as a kid, it was a big adventure and absolutely magical! (no one could leave their houses for several days...ah, it was glorious!!) :)

LindaSue said...

Sharilyn - as I said - my hiney has to be careful - it is slick as can be outside! I will get out tomorrow - hope to get pictures of the evergreen oaks with their leaves coated in ice. Glad you enjoyed it - losing power for several days when you are a kid seems a lot more fun than when you are living in the country (we have a generator so if power were out for an extended time Dh could get the well to run)

sharilyn said...

oh yes, you must be careful!! slipping and sliding is no good for the bones!! and, i'm sure my parents weren't quite so thrilled with the power outage...i'm not sure how we even kept warm! (but i do remember Dad having to tape the pipes so they wouldn't freeze and burst) ah, to be a kid at such times! by the way, i checked out your ice crystal photos up close, and they're very lovely... can't wait to see what else you come up with! :)

Lanny said...

Ummm brrr, but it seems I was just reading that you were cold my dear. Back a ways I was jealous of you, wondering why you were getting my frozen weather (not that I expect much) ready to pack up my not frozen skating pond and skates and come down to Texas where it is cold. Thinking that clearly I misunderstood the whole concept of Texas, I thought it was supposed to be warm. And now here we are looking at your frozen plants and you tell me it doesn't do this often? I am confused, but that is really the state I live in the most.

Well I hope you stay upright. And ain't it the truth that power outage in the country is way different than the city or burbs. Flushing the toilet becomes priceless.

LindaSue said...

Lanny - I definitely wouldn't pack ice skates and come this direction from the PNW - it doesn't stay cold enough long enough to skate on! It was in the 80's last week - Texas weather is a constant topic of conversation here. We get some bitter cold to kill off a few bugs then warmer (one can hope wetter) seasons to grow into long months of real hot weather. Ice pellets coming from sky at this very moment - aargh the sky is falling

Lolosblog said...

I am not fond of the ice but will take the moister any way we can get it! I never ventured out of the house today. I did open the front door to get the mail.

Stay warm my friend! It is still sleeting here.