Authentic Compassion

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm not kidding, we're kidding



Early yesterday my cell phone was ringing - caller ID showed our BFF was calling. She had a crisis and her hubby was out of town. We jumped in the car and headed off to play Rescue Rangers. (I'm always nervous leaving the house in pants pulled over my nightgown and a coat - just so risky - with my nightgowns not at ALL risque!) A La Mancha doe tried to get through a gate and got "stuck". The herd members behind her decided it would be target practice to ram her and wedge her more tightly into the space.DH worked on it for a while and we were able to release her.


Back at our place a first timer doe was in definite labor. YoYo didn't do well with the labor part of the process but seemed quite taken with baby "A" - pretty little buck. Just before she got "A" completely cleaned up - along came "B".




























We went from a medium sized "baby Bump" on YoYo to cute buck, then oh my goodness two little nubian bucks. Buck "A" has not been able to stand very well as yet, a condition not helped by rejection by YoYo. Ah the joys of bottle feeding.




































YoYo occasionally pays attention to Baby" A". His hind legs are splayed out (you can see in the picture). This evening he managed to stand on his own for a full ten minutes.

Two of our other does look ready to deliver. I am praying they don't reject a baby. Bottle babies are cute for a few weeks. Part which is hard for me is I have to deal with a baby trained I am his mama and I will take him to the butcher - dadgum it isn't fun. DH said we can plan on keeping a few wethers, we'll see how things turn out. The kids will start getting names in a week or so.




















There is a moment when you have a female goat - then suddenly there are two goats - a doe and her kid. It is a miracle every single time. Here on Buhlaland, it is kidding time and that is good.

7 comments:

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Congratulations on the new baby bucks! They are adorable. Can't wait to see how they grow. Have a good weekend,blessings, Kathleen

Lolosblog said...

They are so cute. I love being on the farm when babies are being born, I wish I got to do that more often.

Maybe in my next life I will live on a place as wonderful as Buhl-a-land.

LindaSue said...

The kids are darling - but don't get too nostalgic - I'm doing a load of clothes right now "poop covered" - they just have NO respect when I'm being loving and feeding them and they let loose on me! LOL

Lanny said...

I am awkwardly hugging and kissing my lap top. But for some reason it doesn't smell right and I can't for the life of me get it to suck on my fingers, chin or ear lobe.

We are on lamb watch, but no body is dropping.

But for now I will live vicariously through you and your little Nubianettes.

Oh by the way, glad your friend's goat survived.

KathyB. said...

Oooooooooooh, ahhhhhhhhhhh, baby goats! I miss my little Nubies, but like Lanny, we are on lamb watch, so we will have little babies. But the little kids are so cute, and their long, silky ears....

You sound like the kind of friends that can be counted on in a crunch!Rushing to your friend's aid with your nightie on! Way to go Linda Sue and your DH!

Vickie said...

Those babies are precious! Congrats! I don't know anything about raising goats for meat. Is that what ya'll have in your freezer? It would be hard to take them to the butcher for sure, but that's life on the farm. There are several families around our farm that raise goats, too, and I was wondering about that...

LindaSue said...

They are cute babies - no we don't eat goat (don't care for the taste) we occasionally sell to a butcher place here in town - hate to do it but this year looks like we'll have to - so far 4 bucks. Lots of people like goat meat - it is lean and when they are raised with lots of grain doesn't taste as strong as those eating just browse and weeds.