Authentic Compassion

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chicken Housing






I have done pictures about the chickens since we brought home the little fluffy chicks back in 2009 - but a couple of blog friends were asking about housing - walk in coop versus reach in - that kind of thing so I'm posting a variety of picture of what DH designed and built. The Coop Mahal has served us very well - housing 8 full grown hens and being relatively easy to clean and access the egg boxes. Egg boxes are the little extension on back - has a flap door which can be opened - get eggs or clean out boxes and closed up tight. Front is covered in some pictures to stay warmer but coop is built on fresh air principles with front section (red painted wood) being a hinged area able to open fully for cleaning. Coop Mahal also has a window on east end to maintain good air circulation during warm weather. We have an enclosed run for protection from predators - although we allow cluckers out for a while most days - they can dust bathe and scratch and eat food scraps in the run with fewer dangers.
Not a fascinating blog post but might give some folks ideas about housing. We like the raised off the ground thing - better air circulation - gives a nice shade area underneath and lessens the attacks from snakes. It is great to go out and gather your own fresh eggs - worth some effort and trouble. It is good on Buhlaland to have steady food source to share with friends!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the pictures very much. I know you and your neighbors enjoy the eggs.
Hope you have a good evening.

Kelly said...

I agree with your about the fresh air. We even dig out an area during winter to allow the hens some outdoor time. They do not like snow! I throw corn out to encourage them in the winter too. Less respriatory issues, amonia, problems in general. I like the off the ground, loft idea. SNAKES? Thank heavens we don't have problems with those in Maine! I love chicken posts.

Paula said...

I'm with Kelly- I love chickie posts too, Linda Sue! (Does that surpise you? hehe)
You have some wonderful ideas there... your girls are very happy hens I'm sure, and the Hen Mahal is bee-yu-tiful. Fresh eggs are the best!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

love that red hen house...too cute!

KathyB. said...

This is a well-thought out design and I can see the benefits of such an arrangement, especially in your area with the high heat. I like the easy to clean aspect of it.

Chickens living well on Buhl-a-land.

Vickie said...

Linda, thanks for posting this. I'm thinking about how I want my coop. I probably won't get chicks til spring, but I want to figure out what I want.

In winter, do you leave that screened in front open or do you cover it with something? How does that chain link fencing work out? I have some chain link already but I was afraid that thicks could get out or snakes get in. Maybe you have some chicken wire there that I can't see...
Nice looking coop!

Lanny said...

Very nice indeed! So many things to consider. Such different things for you to consider from what we have to consider up here. But in the end, husbands build Coop Mahals and the girls work forever to pay it off!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Oh, anything about chickens is fascinating to me!! LOL. Love your housing and I know you will enjoy your new feathered friends!