Authentic Compassion

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Brief lifespans

Much has been said and written about the events of 9/11/2001. We see how the world has changed - and not to my eyes for the better - in the 9 years since terrorists attacked our country.
Appears we have very short memories - as a culture we do not learn from history. I cannot find a "middle way" for tolerating those who wish to destroy. We can pray for them to receive salvation, pray for protection from them and pray for leadership who seeks true wisdom not popularity or sound bites.
We all know life is short - for some - cut short by the evil actions of others. Many die young for reasons we cannot see this side of heaven.
Don't waste time being petty, nurturing grudges or imagining slights - forgiveness, grace and love are recurring themes in Christianity - whether they are practiced in an individual's life is their choice.
I had a dragonfly on my hand yesterday - wings sparkling in the sunshine and incredible colors all over. I was able to hold it because the creature was dying
from an injury - no healing could take place - how do you heal an insect? I was able to admire it's beauty, remove it from a tormentor and allow it to die in relative peace. I suppose it's life was short - adult dragonflies only live about a month - but it fulfilled a purpose for which dragonflies exist.
Check your purpose - live a life worthy of your calling.
It is good on Buhlaland - introspective but very good. Bless y'all

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Hello from Kansas!
I have never held a dragonfly in my hand...beautiful creature.

God bless you real good and may you have a sweet life!
d

Paula said...

That was wonderful, Linda Sue... I just posted about honey bees and how their lifespan is only 4-6 weeks but what they accomplish in that short life is truly amazing. They live to provide and take care of their colony of fellow bees... sometimes I wonder why I can't be more like that?
Hope today is a beautiful day for you and your DH.