Authentic Compassion

Friday, September 12, 2008

No guesses?

No guesses were even made! Texas Ranger cookies! (get it huh huh huh? Chuck Norris =Texas Ranger???)
Anyhooooo - recipes for a similar cookie started appearing in cookbooks and magazines in the 1930's! They have also been known as Cowboy cookies. You'll make them and call them what I want in the cookie jar cookies!
The close up is to give you an idea of the texture - I love a chewy crispy cookie and these meet my requirements big time.


Texas Ranger Cookies
yield - at least 5 dozen
1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup Crisco
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon bakng powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups oatmeal (I used regular but some recipes call for quick cooking oats)
2 cups cornflakes
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut
Using a power mixer, cream together the butter, Crisco, sugars and eggs. Turn off the mixer and add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set the mixer on low and combine dry ingredients with the creamed mixture. Add vanilla and mix in. Add oats, cornflakes, pecans and coconut. Put spoonfuls onto a baking sheet (not greased) Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.
I had to fiddle with the baking time a while - we have a convection oven and I'd set the temp at 350 - found it took at least 8 and a half minutes to be properly done. Don't make these too big - they don't get done in the middle before being overcooked on the edges. I wish I'd chopped my pecans smaller - just did a rough chop with a big cleaver and the dough would have been better with smaller nut pieces.
I read enough variations on the recipe to know that some heretics use rice krispies in place of corn flakes - a dangerous bit of blasphemy and not nearly so good -trust me on this.
We are experiencing sugar and fat overload at the moment here on Buhlaland - I think high protein and a plain veggie will be a good choice for supper tonight (right after I eat that broken cookie I just spied on the platter! can't have broken cookies leaking their calories all over the countertop) . Likelihood of posting tomorrow - high with moderate allowance for interruptions due to housecleaning and/or hurricane related power issues. What's coming? You know the chocolate cake PioneerWoman makes and we all love? I have a white cake version of it - oh so cleverly named - White Texas Sheet Cake.
Perhaps you should be planning a bake sale or freezing ahead for the holidays? You can do what I did and take a ziploc bag of cookies to your acupuncturist!
Beautiful warm fall day on Buhlaland and it is good.

4 comments:

Lolosblog said...

Yum! I can't wait to try these cookies!

Anonymous said...

Looks terrific! I can't wait to try them!


Awesome!

Blessings!
Lacy

KathyB. said...

You do a good bit of comedy while posting ingredients ! Not just your plain old cooking recipes ! I enjoy reading your comments as you talk about the recipe ! And the cookies look good. KathyB.

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

mmmmmmmmmm....