Authentic Compassion

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Compassion


I seem to have a theme this week. As a person with no children of her own it truly makes my heart ache when I read about a child who needs help. Rachel and Jacob were the subjects of yesterday's plea for help (my pleading - they graciously gave us the opportunity to be part of blessing a child).
I joined the Compassion International's bloggers some time ago- a very loosely knit group of Compassion sponsors who are given a blogging topic once a month. I'm a wretched procrastinator and I've delayed until today - the last day for June to post. Hard to get my mind around how massive the Global Food Crisis is and how quickly it is growing. I've posted one of our sponsored children - Elius in Bangaldesh again - he is not starving but I spoke with a pastor from his country and was told food is getting harder to buy. We have SOOOOOO much in this country. Like you I'm freaking out a bit each week seeing how staples in our diet are going up in price but we still are able to buy pretty much what we want to eat. The dividing line in my mind would be - I get to think about what we WANT to eat - while millions are trying to find a way to eat at all. Now realistically - how long do we spend thinking about it? Oh a few minutes during the evening news watching foreign reporters talking about feeding stations. YUCK what an awful word to have to apply to humans, created in the image of God. Humans who are our brothers and sisters in this world are fed at "stations".
If you click on the link global food crisis - it takes you to the Compassion International site where you can get more information or make a donation. I know I know I know - we are bombarded with "good causes" and catastrophes and flooding and typhoons. Yes yes yes I totally agree we cannot save the whole world ourselves. But if we can save just a few at least we won't stand on the Day of Judgment saying - well Lord there were so many good things available to do I just couldn't decide which one YOU wanted me to do - so I sat and read and thought and prayed - and did nothing.
I want us all to hear "well done my good and faithful servant". Quoting the advertisement from Nike - Just Do It.
God bless you for reading this - whatever you decide to do is between you and the Lord. Honestly unless you are just moved to say so - I'd rather you didn't post if you gave or not - this is one of those times I think it would be wise to keep the giving decision between you and God.

We are overfed and often overwhelmed on Buhlaland and forever grateful for a chance to help. Cannot do it all - but oh thank you Lord we can do something.

6 comments:

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

I agree.
we are overfed as Americans even if we find ourselves on food stamps. aren't we.
thanks for this post. informative and encouraging.

Lolosblog said...

Amen, sister!

Thank you so much for doing your part on getting information about "Compassion" to all our friends in the blog world. As you know, I have a dear friend (church leader) that is very involved with this group. They are a great organization and are helping many children.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I agree! Compassion is a wonderful organization!

Anonymous said...

Have you read about this super-charged fortified peanut butter that they are giving to children all over the world that helps them put on weight. It's amazing! They call it Plumpy-Nut.

Excellent post! I completely agree with you. We have no idea what hunger is in America. When I return from mission trips, I get angry when I hear someone say, "I'm starving!" I have been known to snap at them and say that they have no idea what that word means.

And they don't.

No one here can imagine what it is like to truly starve.

Blessings!
Lacy

LindaSue said...

Well Lacy - there are some in American who do know true hunger but probably not in the circles in which most of us live. Our abundance is not something about which I feel guilty. (to quote U2's wonderful singer and international activist Bono )"Where you live should no longer determine whether you live." True and it also means we have the chance to make a real difference - we weren't put here at this time and in this place to ignore the world or waste energy feeling guilt about where we live - but we are here to make a difference in the world by obeying the Lord. ::::getting off soapbox::::: boy you got me going this morning Lacy - thank you SO much for your comment - to those whom much is given, much is required. Amen

LindaSue said...

BTW- no I hadn't heard of the peanut butter but there are SO many simple solutions being created - the older anti-diarrheal packet was such a huge life saving product. Fortified grains and oils can literally keep someone alive AND even thriving.'nuff said by me - ttfn