Authentic Compassion

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Buttery Goodness

We bought a panini press (you know I use the term "we" quite loosely since DH only said well if you want it). For Sunday morning breakfast I thought I'd lose my mind oops should have read get creative. From a plain, storebought croissant (Albertson's on sale, Golden Harvest which means a teaspoon of whole wheat flour to give it color!) to toasty gooey deliciousness in less than 15 minutes.
Gather up 4 tablespoons cream cheese, three croissants each split in half, 2 tablespoons sweet orange marmalade, and soft salted butter - seriously only 4 ingredients. Preheat your silly extravagance Panini Press or a waffle iron might work too. Mush up the cream cheese and orange marmalade with a fork (we're talking low tech here ) it's good if there are little lumps of cream cheese. Just mush it together to make a spread. Butter the outsides of a croissant - I used Light Butter which has some canola to appease my inner food police. Spread about one third of the cream cheese mixture on half the croissant and reacquaint the top and bottom croissant halves. Put the totally reunited croissant in your hot panini press (or aforementioned waffle iron) for about 2 minutes. Should be rather flattened, quite crusty golden. If you are making several (easy to double recipe so simple) put the crispy goodies on a rack so they won't give off moisture and become soggy. The finished product was dusted with a bit of powdered sugar. Add some big sweet strawberries with only a touch of sweeter on them - either equal or real sugar - just don't go crazy with the sugar or your berries will be runny. Absolutely delish - all 3 members of the household rolled their eyes and made yummy noises. If you can't stand one of the mere four ingredients - you can use some other marmalade/preserves but I'd be cautious with jelly or jams - too runny. Blueberries or the berry or banana or sliced peach or whatever fruit of your choice would be grand. I wanted to do something simple, fast and guaranteed to look as if you were a Martha Stewart ( or in my case probably Paula Deen!) of your neighborhood. If you need to get really jazzed - garnish with a sprig of mint or flowers.
Now I won't tell you about the panini with chocolate and fresh berries - that would be too much - y'all enjoy - we are wearing loose waistbands and big smiles in Buhlaland. Oh yeah - and just a touch of powdered sugar on our chins! To quote a friend's blog"taste and see that the Lord is good"Psalm 34:8 Oh yes He is!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im drooling girl im drooling! lol

Lolosblog said...

I just ate lunch and that still makes me hungry! I think I will have to try that for the family at my house!

Paula said...

Oh my, LindaSue... that sounds...*sinful*...

There, I said it. I will try one of course, sinful or no.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

This looks so delicious! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!blessings, Kathleen

joyh82 said...

Yummy.. they look so good.