Authentic Compassion

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New decade - what next?!


I'd been pretty glum for about 48 hours . Anticipation of this day for months - the reality of turning 60 just blew me out of the water. 50 - that was a breeze - I was excited and happy and just had so much fun. But 60 - SIX OH - bleah! I am no longer middle aged - unless I'm planning on 120 -considering my current rate of decline - naw. Turned down offers of b'day party from DH and generally have obsessed over how little good I've actually accomplished and overall I've fallen way short of my goals.
BUT - our dog was barking this morning as soon as it started getting light and out we ventured - look what somebody did for me! That is our front gate - somebody decorated it with balloons and streamers and a sign - how cool is that?
See it isn't the great big gestures in life making a difference(although anyone thinking of giving me a week at a spa shouldn't be discouraged from generosity!)-it is taking your time,resources and spending them on someone else. Making a difference -- I have been caught up with the Compassion Bloggers' stories of Uganda and being convicted I'm not doing enough to help --my 60th birthday makes me focus on the clock -it is ticking. My clock needs rewinding occasionally (I'm definitely not digital) and this gesture of love from someone for my birthday - well I'm ready to go for the next 10 years - Lord willing - and maybe I can make someone else grin as much as I did this morning.
Thank you world - and thank you Lord - Buhlaland is a birthday extravaganza today! It is good.

13 comments:

Lolosblog said...

Happy Birthday!

May God bless you with many more happy and healthy ones.

Patriot said...

What a sweet thing to do! My birthday was yesterday! Hope your week is wonderful!

Paula said...

Happy Birthday to youuuuu! Wouldn't it be neat if 60 WAS middle age? I sure would have taken better care of myself if that was the case! (lol) Hope you had a great day.

Katy said...

Happy Birthday!!! Love the gate!!! It looks great!!! :) Your sunlight on the earth widget on your sidebar is really neat too!!! :)

Beth Cotell said...

Happy Birthday! I hope it was a great one! And don't be so hard on yourself. I bet you are doing more good than you think you are.

LindaSue said...

Thank you Beth - it was a great birthday and thank you for dropping by! I am already getting more projects lined up than acturial tables could suggest I'll live - so evidently I'm still an optimist!

LindaSue said...

Even better would be if I spelled correctly - actuarial - that is more like it

LindaSue said...

By the way y'all I do know who did this wonderful surprise - somebody who is a real friend - the kind who makes you laugh!

Bob Cleveland said...

60? 60?

I'm within 90 days of 70. You have 10 years to get ready for that

Trust me .. you'll need them.

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday!! I just did some catching up on your blog and read your 100th. posting. I loved it! I know it was hard coming up with all of that, but for those of us who don't know you - it was wonderful! And I loved that you put your picture on - I finally have a face to go with the name. I don't know why that's important, but it is. I love to be able to picture someone in my mind. So THANK YOU! Lots of love.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from one who was there and made it through! I was sick right after I turned 62, and stayed sick until fall 3 years later. So now I am laughing all the way to the cemetary - or at least that is my plan. I found your blog through "eggs in my pocket". I'm learning what a big world blogging is. Such nice people who share their heart. Neat!

Pam said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I echo Beth's comment. You have had a wonderful positive impact on my life, just in the short time I have known you in this blogging world. I am sure that you have done much, much more in real life!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Happy Birthday, Lindasue! 60 is just starting a new book! If you plan to live to 80, you have 20 years to dream, laugh, love, and create! I hope you had a wonderful day!blessings, Kathleen